At the heart of what Christian Surfers is about is networking people from around the world who are surfers who are trying to live out their faith as followers of Jesus Christ. More than a phrase that describes us, Christian Surfers is a community who has a distinct “DNA.”
Local Chapters are sometimes simply called “chapters” connected to their local geographic community (for example Huntington Beach Chapter). Other times, chapter members organize themselves and name themselves as a “surf club.” Chapters share six core ideas in common, which give them the Christian Surfers DNA:
- Fellowship – We are a fellowship of surfers following Jesus together.
- Service – We are a group of surfers serving other surfers as well as local their local beach communities. Many chapters also partner with certain charities (like Surfers Healing) or “adopt” international communities and ministries and regularly travel to serve these friends abroad.
- Intentional Relationships – We follow the biblical mandate to make disciples of Christ, so we journey together to grow in our faith in Christ.
- Leadership – We organize ourselves as any tribe would. The elders of the group are called our Core Team and they lead not just by organizing the chapter around the group’s calendar of events, but also as spiritual leaders of the group.
- Membership – We stress the need to be active in a solid local church. Our relationship with the local church is very important to us and each chapter has “partnering” churches that support and help hold the local mission accountable.
- Surfing – Although there are some who are active in local chapters who don’t surf (that’s ok, we love them too), Christian Surfers chapters are primarily made up of surfers who are dedicated to the lifestyle of riding waves, chasing waves, obsessing over surfboards, talking about surfing legends and…. Well you get the picture. We are unique. We are surfers.